Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Series Review | The Starbound Triology


                                  

Hi everyone!  Since I'm too lazy to post individual reviews, I decided to do a series review of all three Starbound Trilogy books.  I already talked about These Broken Stars in a Book Recommendation post (you can read it here), but I decided to include it in this post as well.

I read These Broken Stars September of last year, and I fell in love.  Unfortunately, I was too broke to buy the second book (I found the first one in my local library) and the third hadn't even come out yet.  I thought I would never get around to reading the rest of the series.  Luckily, Christmas came around, and, to my surprise, I got the entire series in hardcover!  I was so happy that I immediately made plans to re-read These Broken Stars, and then read the rest of the series.  I was so excited for This Shattered World and Their Fractured Light, and I'm so glad that I was not disappointed!

Reading These Broken Stars was even better than the first time.  I love the world that Amie & Meagan created in this series, and their brilliance really shines through, even in book one.  In These Broken Stars, Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen are the only two survivors when the famous spaceliner, the Icarus, crashes on an uninhabited (or is it?) planet.  Lilac and Tarver were, and still are, my favorite couple of the series.  I love how Lilac goes from this prissy, high-society girl to a down-to-earth, strong, and lovable character.  The character development that Lilac goes through is incredible, and the fact that I didn't really like her in the beginning just made me like her so much more in the end.  Tarver is just as lovable, and he fits with Lilac so well.  Tarver and Lilac are the most believable couple I've ever read about.  If they were real people, they would be that couple that you meet and immediately know that they'll be together for the rest of their lives.

This Shattered World introduces two new characters.  Whereas These Broken Stars is told from Lilac and Tarver's POV, this second book is told from the POV of Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac.  Jubilee is a well-known soldier and Flynn is a rebel; the story starts when Flynn captures Jubilee to try to find information about an unidentified building near the rebel's camp.  They live on the planet Avon.  For some reason, I didn't like the setting in Avon that much.  It was really hard for me to picture in my head.  Luckily, that didn't take away from the story.  As for the characters, I did not connect with them as much as Lilac and Tarver.  Their relationship felt more forced, and I did not like how Flynn was so quick to turn his back on Jubilee during a hard time (if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about).  Overall, I enjoyed the book, but not as much as These Broken Stars.  I did like how some questions that were not answered in the first book were addressed in this one.

Now for Their Fractured Light.  This book features a young grifter, Sofia Quinn, and a well-known hacker, Gideon Marchant.  Both of these characters are mentioned in the previous book (Sofia as a friend of Flynn and Gideon under his hacker name, The Knave), but they come to the forefront in this book.  Sofia and Gideon join together to fight LaRoux Industries, but they have a very hard time trusting and working with each other.  I enjoyed this book a lot more than the This Shattered World (though These Broken Stars will always be my favorite).  I love Sofia and Gideon, and it was really fun to see the series conclude from their POV.  They were both a really essential part of the story, despite them being the newbies of the series.  I am also so glad that Lilac and Tarver made a comeback in this book!  Although Tarver and a little bit of Lilac are in the second book, they are a big part of the third.  Jubilee and Flynn also come into the story, and all six characters have to work together to defeat LaRoux Industries as well as the mysterious beings that have plagued the galaxy.  Seeing all of the characters that I read about throughout the trilogy come together was so much fun!  Their interactions and relationships evolve so much, and there were even some surprises about connections between the characters.  Overall, Their Fractured Light was an amazing conclusion to an amazing series.  

Wow.  That's a lot of words.  If you actually read all of that, I applaud you.  For those who haven't read the series and don't want to read that massive review, here's all you need to know: read it.


13 comments:

  1. I love the covers, but the synopsis of the first book kinda threw me off for a bit...might give it a go after reading this - I definitely need to get into a whole new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really high sci-fi/fantasy, so if you're not into that, you might not like it. But if you are, then I would definitely go for it!

      Delete
  2. I actually love series reviews - it helps me decide if I want to try a series. I've only read one of these books (TBS) and am thinking that TFL appeals to me but TSW not as much. Will I understand book three if I haven't read book two?? I just wish there were more standalones...
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you can definitely read book 3 without reading the second one! You just won't know the kind of "inside jokes" that are mentioned with Jubilee and Flynn (the MCs in TSW). I would definitely recommend reading all three, just because it makes the story more complete, but if you think you won't enjoy it, I would go straight to TFL! You can always come back to book 2 if you want to later :).

      Delete
  3. OOH SO MANY FABULOUS SHIPS IN THIS SERIES!! WHY HAVEN'T I PICKED THIS UP YET?? I know lots of people love this, and scoff is one of my favourite genres! The setting just sounds SO GOOD?? I mean, it's IN SPACE. I haven't yet come across an item of entertainment set in space that was NOT amazingly good. (Hello, Interstellar, Doctor Who and Illuminae!). Anyway, sorry for rambling on like that, I stumbled across your blog through Emily's (Paperback Princess) and decided to read your review (which I'm glad I did, btw, because you might have just convinced me to buy these books!) Happy reading :)

    Ranu @ The Araliya Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCI-FI, I MEANT "sci-fi is my favourite genre" not "scoff". UGGH AUTOCORRECT. *FACEPALM*

      Delete
    2. Hahaha omg XD. I'm so glad you stopped by! And YES OMG you will totally love this if you like sci-fi!!! Let me know if you read it so I can see what you think and read your review!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I admit part of the reason I haven't yet continued with this series beyond the first book is that I fell so in love with Lilac and Tarver that I couldn't fathom a story without them! But, with all the positive reviews, I really need to just jump the gun and do it ❤ Lovely review...s? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super disappointed when I found out that book two had different POVs, but Lilac and Tarver still make appearances in TSH and TFL!!! I still really enjoyed the rest of the series, even though it wasn't from their POVs.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you really made me want to read These Broken Stars already! I have it sitting on my bookshelf for quite a long time already, and I wonder why I never gotten into starting it already. Lol! But anyway, I guess I should read it already because according to your review, this trilogy is really wonderful! I'm so excited now. :D

    Awesome review, Bryce! <3


    Fiona | A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, you should definitely read it!! Let me know if you post a review, so I can read it and see what you think! :)

      Delete
  6. I've read These Broken Stars before, I ended up liking it, but I found Lilac SO hard to like. Even after all of her growth. I think I was just still angry at her for being so unpleasant. I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of this series yet, but I hope to eventually! The covers are so gorgeous! Have you read Spinning Starlight? It reminds me a LOT of These Broken Stars, but I reeeeeeallllly liked Spinning Starlight! I like this series review thing, you did it well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)!! And I haven't read Spinning Starlight, but I've heard a lot about it... I really want to read it, but I keep procrastinating on buying a copy hahaha.

      Delete

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).