Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Rebel Belle | Review

Rebel Belle Cover
Information:
Copy- Bought
First book in series
Published: April 8th 2014 by Putnam Juvenile

Synopsis:
Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.
Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.

My Rating: 9.5/10

My Review: I really, truly enjoyed reading this book.  It's lighthearted, fun, and it has just enough YA cheesiness to make me feel at home.  And although the plotline is not exactly the most unique, there was one thing that stood out from me and made this book really catch my attention.
The girl has to protect the boy??????  Usually I don't get all hot and bothered by the fact that 98% of YA is a hot guy protecting the girl from danger (although, authors are starting to expand a little), but I just loved that it was switched around in this book.  It took me completely by surprise that the boy has (spoiler) and stays back while the girl does all the badass fighting.  Which, when you think about it, is kind of sad.  I definitely want to see more books like this in the future.
Other than the awesome non-gender stereotyping, there were other things that made me enjoy this book.  I love the fact that the characters are so realistic.  Obviously, this book is fiction, but the characters react to the situations they are put in the way real people would react.  When Harper (spoiler), she doesn't try to be the hero.  She literally just says, ¨No.¨  I just remember reading that part and thinking, Finally.  A girl who actually stands up for herself.  And when shit starts to go down, guess what?  David, the love interest (or at least one of them) gets scared.  *dramatic gasp*  Wait, the guy shows emotions???? What????
Okay, I'll drop the sarcasm now.  But seriously, why isn't every YA book like this?  I only hope that other authors will follow Rachel Hawkins' lead.
Overall, I love this book (and the cover... look at it.  Its so pretty).   I will definitely be recommending it to everyone in sight.

*To see spoilers, you can see my goodreads review here*

Find a Copy: Amazon (Kindle) | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository

Find the Author: Website | Twitter | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).