Saturday, June 13, 2015

Without Me | Review

Without Me Cover
Yep, this is happening.  Without Me is finally being released!  *high pitched internal screaming*  Ever since I heard Megan was re-writing this series, I knew I had to read it.  And I'm so glad I did!

Info:
Publication Date: May 19th 2015 by Duke Books
Copy- ARC gifted by Author
First book in The Mind Breaker Accounts

Synopsis:
For 21-year-old Denni, there is no doubt in her mind that Amos is the one. That is until Jack manages to catch her attention. When she discovers it isn’t just a crush causing this stranger to intrude her thoughts, a secret world of mind control is unleashed around her. It is revealed that both Amos and Jack belong to a special breed of humans called Mind Breakers, and over time Denni learns that the last two years of her life have been controlled by their influence. Soon she realizes that the people she thought she knew, and the life she has most recently grown accustomed to, might not have ever been real in the first place. Her thoughts, emotions, and physical actions are all at stake. So who can she trust? This, of course, is Denni’s past. Now she is forced to retell her story from the beginning in hopes that the worst of it will never happen again.

Rating: 9/10

Review: Honestly, I love everything that Megan writes, and this book was no exception.  I was immediately drawn right into the story, and into Denni's world.
Starting out this book, I was a little skeptical of the "New Adult" label.  I mean, let's be honest.  Most New Adult books these days are just straight-up smut.  Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised to read a NA book with an actual plot.  And character development.  And all the other things that make a book a good book.  Not saying there wasn't any romance in this book, though ;))))).  It was just the perfect balance of hot, swoon-worthy men, and an intriguing plot.
As for the actual plot, it was a completely new concept (except for the whole "I have powers" part, but come on, everyone needs some magical powers every once in a while).  The fact that there are two guys both trying to get Denni to love them by controlling her mind is kind of messed up, but I loved it.  It really made me think about what I would do in that kind of a situation.  And most of the time, Denni made the same decisions that I would, which made me really happy.
Getting into the characters, I wanted to talk about Denni first.  I really enjoyed reading from her POV, because I connected with her a lot more than the other characters.  In the book, she acts a lot like me, which I usually like when I'm reading.  As for the other characters, I feel like most of them are all assholes.  Seriously, the only other character I really liked was Brimley.  It took a long time for Jack to grow on me, and even he made some pretty dick moves.  Don't even get me started on Amos.  And Cox was just insane.  I feel like the lack of enjoyable characters was the only thing that kind of bugged me about this book, but I'm not that worried about it, because I know they'll probably grow on me more in the next book.
Okay, I don't want to say anything else, because I don't want to spoil anyone.  But overall, this book is a good, solid book, especially for the first one in a series.  I definitely recommend it to all of you YA readers who want to read to start reading up, but still want a good book with a good plotline.  I can't wait to see where this story will go, and I am (not so) patiently awaiting the sequel (which is set to come out this August!!!).

Get your Copy: Amazon

Find the Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Other Links: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).