Sunday, January 22, 2017

Book vs. Movie | The Duff by Kody Keplinger

  V.S.


Okay, so this NEVER happens but this just happened to be a rare case where I watched the movie before I read the book.  I KNOW.  I'm ashamed.  But I was just scrolling through the channels one day and I saw the movie and I thought, "Why not.  I'm probably never going to read the book."  Well, I ended up actually liking the movie, and it made me curious about the book.  But of course, I couldn't read the book now because I SPOILED MYSELF.  Augh.  So I went about my life, until something happened.  The Duff appeared on BookOutlet.  And anyone who knows me knows that I can't resist BookOutlet.  So I added it to my cart and ended up buying it and now I'm sitting here writing this review.

But, I couldn't just do a regular review, because the whole time I was reading I kept comparing it to the movie.  So, instead of doing a review, I going to do a Book vs. Movie.  We'll see if the saying "the book is always better" holds up to the test.

So, as expected, the book was very different from the movie.  But not in a bad way.  Bianca is just as hilarious and badass.  I grew to love Jessica and Casey a lot more, and it sucked to see Bianca pulling away from them and hurting them.  I hate when girls ditch their friends for a guy.  Yuck.  Anyway, the supporting characters in this book are amazing, and I love that Bianca has such great girl friends.

Let's talk about Wesley.  For some reason, he seemed a lot different in the book than the movie.  Yes, he's still just as much of a man-whore.  But I like how he develops as a character much better in the book than the movie.  The romance in the book also developed differently, but I also liked it better.  The book isn't afraid to dive deep into some of the more touchy subjects that the movie couldn't portray (especially sex in high school).  Although, I have to say that I did miss some scenes that were in the movie that I wanted to see in the book, but weren't. (Like the shopping scene!! So cute.)

Overall, even though I really enjoyed the movie, I think the book wins this round.  It's more honest and not so much of the typical rom-com that the movie is.  I can't say that I'm mad that I saw the movie before the book though, because I got to picture Robbie Amell as Wesley the whole time, and that is not a bad thing.

What about you guys?  Have you seen the movie or read the book?  Both?  What did you think of them?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).