Saturday, April 9, 2016

Conversations | Are there any particular diverse books you read more and why?


Conversations is a new meme created by Geraldine @ Corralling Books and Joan @ Fiddler Blue.  Basically, they come up with a basic theme to discuss each month, and a topic every other Saturday, and we discuss it!  I thought it sounded super fun, and I'm always looking for more ways to join in in the bookish community.  Today's topic that we are discussing is: are there any particular diverse books you read more and why?


While I am so glad that books, YA especially, are becoming more and more diverse, I don't really decide to read books based on how diverse they are.  That being said, I think I have read a lot more LGBTQ+ books than any other type of diverse book, mainly because they are the most abundant.  However, I do have some diverse books that I can recommend to those who are looking for them!


Mental Illness

All the Bright Places      Thirteen Reasons Why      Underwater

LGBTQ+

Every Day (Every Day, #1)      Carry On      Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe      Made of Stars      Fan Art

Diverse Cultures & POC Leads

The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)      An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)      Doon (Doon, #1)      Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe       Everything, Everything


Let me know in the comments if you have any other good recommendations for diverse books, or if you have read any of the ones above!

16 comments:

  1. Aristotle and Dante has been on my TBR list for awhile and I'm hopoing to get around to it this summer.

    Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gullege is one I enjoyed. The protagonist has a friend who identifies as lesbian. It's not a huge plot point. It just so happens that the two are friends and one of them likes girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec; I'll be sure to check it out! And Ari and Dante is so cute, I hope you like it :).

      Delete
  2. ATBP is such an amazing mental health boo because I think it's something a bit different than the usual. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikr!! It's such an interesting take on mental illness, and it helped me understand depression a lot better.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, some of your recs are absolutely perfect! I know I really liked 13 Reasons Why - it was the first book that exposed me to mental illness and its effects!
    I've never read any of your LGBTQ+ recommendations - but I WILL. I've got a goal to read at least three this year :D Hoping that Ari and Dante will be read this year! :D
    So great to see you participating in Conversations, Bryce!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geraldine! And yes omg you need to read Ari and Dante and also Carry On; they're such good books! :)

      Delete
  4. *hides in shame* I've never read any of these books before! I feel so ashamed to say that, but great list. I'm definitely planning to read a lot of these. I had no idea that Fan Art was LGBT+!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha no shame! And yeah Fan Art is sooo cute! Definitely recommend reading it :).

      Delete
  5. I loved 13 Reasons Why! I think it does a good job portraying the effect of mental illness. I've read Everything, Everything and thought it was interesting too. A friend's recommended Aristotle and Dante to me so I might get on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I totally agree with your friend! Ari and Dante is so adorable and such a great book!

      Delete
  6. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED ARI & DANTE. <3 It was the best finally reading about a character who was Mexican like me & I think the author did a good job of portraying our culture. An Ember In The Ashes & Everything, Everything are on my TBR and I'm really excited about them. I've been looking for diverse books for the longest time and while YA is definitely still lacking with diversity, I've seen a bit of a rise as of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there will ever be enough diversity in books, but we're heading in the right direction! And yes omg I'm so glad you loved Aristotle and Dante! :)

      Delete
  7. Carry On and All the Bright Places are both amazing! David Levithan has a new book coming out in May which also pretty brilliant! Most of your other reads are basically on my TBR.. Ari & Dante sounds amazing, I need to read that soon!
    I'm glad you have so many different types of diverse books you bring up.
    I think it's actually true that LGBTQ books are popping up relatively often now (more often than used to, at least), and I think that's pretty wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know David Levithan has a new book coming out! I'll have to check it out... And yeah I'm so glad there's more diversity is books; hopefully that will continue, especially in YA.

      Delete
  8. I love these recs, Bryce! 13 Reasons Why is one of my fave books, I'm excited for the TV series to begin airing. I have All The Bright Places sitting on my shelf for months but I can't pick it up because I heard it's heavy so I'm still bracing myself for it, lol. A big YES to Ember, as well. I agree that there are more LGBT themed books out in the wild so it's easier to find access to them. Some YA books that I love with the that same theme are I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson and Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. If you read them, let me know what you think!

    Joan @ Fiddler Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, 13 Reasons Why is becoming a TV show?!? I had no idea hahaha that's awesome! And yeah, I had to gear myself up to read ATBP, but I'm glad I finally did. Also, I'll Give You the Sun has been sitting on my shelf forever! Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon...

      Delete

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).