Saturday, March 4, 2017

Book Review (ARC) | Seven Days of You by Cecilia Vinesse

Title: Seven Days of You
Author: Cecilia Vinesse
Publication: March 7th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Series: Standalone
Pages: 336
Genre: YA Contemporary
Copy: ARC provided by publisher & Face in a Book
Summary: Sophia has seven days left in Tokyo before she moves back to the States. Seven days to say good-bye to the electric city, her wild best friend, and the boy she’s harbored a semi-secret crush on for years. Seven perfect days…until Jamie Foster-Collins moves back to Japan and ruins everything.

Jamie and Sophia have a history of heartbreak, and the last thing Sophia wants is for him to steal her leaving thunder with his stupid arriving thunder. Yet as the week counts down, the relationships she thought were stable begin to explode around her. And Jamie is the one who helps her pick up the pieces. Sophia is forced to admit she may have misjudged Jamie, but can their seven short days of Tokyo adventures end in anything but good-bye?

This is a good book. The writing is great, the setting is amazing, the characters are well-written and likable.  This would be a solid 4.5 even 5 stars from me if it weren't for one thing.  Sophia.  I swear, I tried to get over it.  I tried to accept her for who she is and just move on.  But OH MY GOD.  She's pretty much everything I hate in an MC.  She constantly feels sorry for herself.  She gets jealous literally every two seconds.  She says dumb shit but instead of apologizing like a normal person she wallows in self pity.  I'm sorry, I just can't. If I can't connect or at least empathize with the narrator of a book, I just can't fully enjoy it.  Which really sucked in this case, because as I said before, this is a really good book!
I LOVED the setting.  As someone who's never been outside the US, I love getting to experience other countries and cultures through books. Reading this book made me want to go to Tokyo so bad!
I also really liked pretty much every other character besides Sophia. Mika and David were so hilarious, and they seemed like such fun friends to have.  I really liked Caroline, and it pissed me off that Sophia was so mean to her just because she was jealous of her.  I also really liked Alison, and I loved their sibling relationship.  And then there's Jamie.  Oh, Jamie.  Sweet, innocent Jamie.  I loved him so much, and I just wanted to hug him and tell him that he deserves so much better than Sophia.  Even though their relationship was super cute, I couldn't fully get into it because I was just so mad at Sophia the entire time.
Overall, this is just a case of a bad MC ruining a perfectly good book.  If you are not like me, and you're okay with reading from the POV of someone who's a little frustrating, I would say go for it.
What do you think? Are you going to read this book? If you've already read it, what did you think? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).