Sunday, September 11, 2016

Book Review (ARC) | The Lovely Reckless by Kami Garcia

Title: The Lovely Reckless
Author: Kami Garcia
Publication: October 4th 2016 by Imprint
Series: Standalone
Pages: 384
Genre: YA Contemporary
Copy: ARC received from publisher via Netgalley
Summary:  I’ve become an expert at avoiding things that could hurt me—which means I will figure out how to stay away from Marco Leone.

Seventeen-year-old Frankie Devereux would do anything to forget the past. Haunted by the memory of her boyfriend’s death, she lives her life by one dangerous rule: Nothing matters. At least, that’s what Frankie tells herself after a reckless mistake forces her to leave her privileged life in the Heights to move in with her dad—an undercover cop. She transfers to a public high school in the Downs, where fistfights don’t faze anyone and illegal street racing is more popular than football.

Marco Leone is the fastest street racer in the Downs. Tough, sexy, and hypnotic, he makes it impossible for Frankie to ignore him—and how he makes her feel. But the risks Marco takes for his family could have devastating consequences for them both. When Frankie discovers his secret, she has to make a choice. Will she let the pain of the past determine her future? Or will she risk what little she has left to follow her heart?

Beautiful Creatures is one of my favorite series, so I was excited to find out at YALLWEST that Kami was coming out with a new standalone contemporary novel.  I was even more excited when I saw that it was available on Netgalley, and I requested it right away.  This book definitely lived up to my expectations.  It's heartfelt, with great characters and an interesting plot.  
I especially enjoyed some of the minor characters, like Cruz and Sophia.  Sophia is the love-interest's, Marco's, little sister.  She's so adorable, and I wish I could have seen more of her in the book.  I also really loved Cruz, one of Frankie and Marco's friends.  She's super badass, and I loved her fierce loyalness.  The romance between Frankie and Marco was freaking adorable, despite the somewhat insta-love going on.  Marco is just so sweet, and any guy who takes care of his little sister and likes animals is A+ on my list.  As for Frankie, the MC, I had a few problems with her.  I did not like the way she treated her parents and her best friend, Lex.  I get that she was going through a really hard time, but it was not a good excuse for the way she treated people.  I don't know, maybe it's just because I have a really good relationship with my family, but I thought it was a little overboard.  And the way she treated Lex was just totally uncalled for.
As for the setting & plot, I thought it was incredibly well-done.  The rich kids vs. the Downs contrast totally reminded me of Gossip Girl, and there were really nice twists added in, such as the street racing.  This book is definitely morally complex, and it deals with law and doing the wrong thing for the right reason, which I really liked.  I also liked the flashbacks that Frankie had, and how they created a sort of mystery element.  As for the ending, I didn't see it coming at all.  It was one of those moments where I just had to set the book down for a few seconds to process what had just happened.
Overall, despite the little issues I had with the MC, I really enjoyed reading this book!  It has a great story arc, and great side characters.  I loved the ending, and I'm really happy I decided to pick this book up.
Let me know if you guys are excited to read this book, or if you've read it yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who comments on my posts! I read and cherish every single one of them, even if I don't respond :).